We would describe ourselves as an “Evangelical, Pentecostal, Christian Church” – but what does that mean in terms of what we actually believe? Read on to find out!
- We believe that the bible was written by men, but inspired by God. That means that we believe every word of it is true, sent from God to help us today
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness
2 Timothy 3:16
- We believe that there is only one God, expressed in three persons – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. They are equal and distinct, but not separate.
- We believe that humans were created as described in the bible. We believe humans were created without sin, but chose to disobey God and this is how sin came into the world. We believe "sin" is disobedience from God's standard. We believe everyone is sinful.
- We believe that the account of Jesus’ life as given in the gospels is true and factual. Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit, lived a perfect life amongst us and performed miracles here on earth.
- We believe that Jesus died on a cross. We believe he died in our place – that the punishment for the sin that came into the world in the beginning is death, but Jesus took this punishment on himself.
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:21
- We believe that after 3 days, he rose from the dead, destroying the power of sin and death for all eternity.
- We believe that Jesus did this for everyone, and wants everyone to receive this free gift of salvation. We believe we can’t do anything to make us good, we have to accept Jesus’ gift.
- We believe that Jesus will return one day, that this world will end, and there will be a new earth and a new heaven.
- We believe that God is active and working in the world today through his Holy Spirit – that we can hear from God, we can speak to Him in heavenly languages, that we see people healed from illness and set free. We believe that He is active in our lives – changing us day by day to be more like Jesus.
When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.
- We believe that God is holy, the only way to spend eternity with God is to be holy – and the only way to be holy is by accepting Jesus as your saviour.
To find out how these beliefs work out on a day-to-day basis, see Our Practices page.
For more information about these, please see the AOG website.